Monday 6 February 2012

First day of the Bread Club!

Snow didn't stop play and 6 of us gathered to learn, share, chat and laugh at the Bread Club.The club is a trial to see how things go, and maybe iron out any 'problems' before holding the bread club in our future hub in Macclesfield.
We were a mixture of people, some of us having made bread before and others not.
We made a Walkmill White tin loaf - using local flour (hence the name Walkmill white)and fresh yeast.
The idea was to give the dough time to taste, by that I mean a 'sponge' was made the night before and then the rest of the ingredients were added the next morning. This method needs time- like kids do! rather than effort to achieve flavour. Why make loaf hard when it can be easy!



If there is room and you want to join us just shout up.......................!

5 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed the morning, thanks Yvonne for making this happen. We could have started something exciting here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had a great day today, I learnt alot, great company and relaxed atmosphere and the result of a good day was great tasting bread!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What more could you ask for good bread, and good time had by all. Thanks to you Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thoroughly enjoyed this morning and am very proud of my first ever home-baked loaf! I enjoyed a thick slice spread with Lurpak and shared some with my good friend, Marie, this evening over a bowl of broccoli and stilton soup. I've frozen a slice to bring to our next bread club as requested. Thank you so much to Yvonne and Ruth for starting this wonderful group. It's great fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My first experience in bread making has been interesting lets say! It started very very well and the bread club was informative and I learned all the skills to go away and make my own loaf of bread from scratch! After the club I came home to my boyfriend and was all excited to show him my creation and of course to taste the end result. To get him involved, I asked if he could turn the oven on so i could bake the loaf i had lovingly made at bread club...5 mins later we could both smell burning. Burning I thought...puzzled... I wondered what I had done wrong? only to find my boyfriend has not put the oven on but the grill!! Thanks rick! but not one to waste anything I turned the oven on this time and finished the loaf off minus burned top...suprisingly it tasted well. It won't deter me in future and I recommend the bread club 100%. Tip: check boyfriend knows difference between an oven and a grill setting.
    Vx

    ReplyDelete